Safelite Donates $300,000 to Afrika Tikkun
COLUMBUS, Ohio – www.safelite.com, successfully completed its 3rd Annual Safelite® Challenge, a fundraising effort for afrikatikkun.org, on April 21 in Lake Mead, Las Vegas. The benefit invited Safelite’s associates to participate in a number of ways while raising funds for the South African-based charity: individual or team triathlon or duathlon, a 5K fun walk, a charity poker run on motorcycles or a weight loss contest. An online auction where employees bid on items donated by the company’s management team and vendors also supported the cause. As a result, the Safelite® Challenge raised $250,000 plus an additional $50,000 from the Safelite AutoGlass® Foundation for a total of $300,000 to Afrika Tikkun.
Established in 1994, Afrika Tikkun works toward the transformation of South African communities by caring for vulnerable children and orphans, not only providing vital care, but also building the skills needed to succeed in life. More than 800,000 families live in the communities supported by Afrika Tikkun. Nelson Mandela is a Chief Patron and has hailed Afrika Tikkun’s programs as a “miracle.”
The top performers of the triathlon and duathlon (individual or team) will have an opportunity to compete in the London Triathlon in September, which is Safelite’s parent company, Belron’s similar fundraiser. The team will consist of:
- Kate Buckler, Administrative Assistant, Columbus, Ohio
- Mitch Burgess, Customer Service Representative, Columbus, Ohio
- Brent Fiegel, Lead Warehouse Associate, Davenport, Iowa
- Jenny Kipker, Treasury Analyst, Columbus, Ohio
- Jonathan Knight, Technician, Boulder, Colorado
- Whitney Schmiesing, Marketing Specialist, Columbus, Ohio
In addition, the top eight individual Safelite® associates who raised the most funds earned the opportunity to attend the London Triathlon. They are:
- Dan Loyal, Division Manager, Chapel Hill, North Carolina
- Paul Koehler, IT Director, Columbus, Ohio
- Paul Jurgensen, Division Manager, Charleston, South Carolina
- Betsy Blake, Purchasing Director, Columbus, Ohio
- Matt Johnson, Media Director, Columbus, Ohio
- Rich Glover, Assistant Vice President of Manufacturing and Distribution Centers, Braselton, Georgia
- Kathy Domer, IT Manager, Columbus, Ohio
- Andy Kipker, VP Claims Management, Columbus, Ohio
Finally, the winner of the weight loss contest was Scott Goodman, a service associate in Safelite’s headquarters, who lost 26.89 percent body fat. He won a one-week, paid vacation at the Biggest Loser Resort.
Sika and PGW Glass served as co-presenting sponsors for the event.
“I continue to be inspired by the selflessness of Safelite’s people who give so openly of their time and energy to support a good cause,” said Tom Feeney, president and CEO of Safelite AutoGlass®. “It’s these people, our wonderful associates, who make Safelite the company it is – people-focused and compassionate. Our sponsors who supported us financially and by attending the fundraiser are also deeply appreciated.”