Windshield Repair and Replacement in Richmond, VA
Same-day windshield repair
Does your windshield have 3 or fewer chips smaller than 6 inches? If so, no need to schedule an appointment. Simply walk in today by 2pm to get your windshield repaired.
There are a few restaurants within a mile of the shop if you are waiting for service.
1) The glass came with the defroster electrical leads pre-soldered to the glass. The wires were too short so the wiring connector couldn't reach all the way to where it needed to reach. In the process of trying to make it reach the installer broke one of the wires. I took the car to the local Safelite shop and the person looked at it and offered to order new glass. He also offered to try and re-solder it but the wire was too short, and he didn't even have any supply of wire to install anyways. I really wasn't left with any sort of confidence that he'd be able to do this job so I ended up just doing the work myself. I pulled the old wires from my original (and broken) glass and was able to reuse them. In the process I found that the wires that had been soldered to the new glass were in the wrong order anyways, so it's a good thing I was able to work on this myself.
2) The rear windshield wiper was not attached correctly. It was mounted too far in a clockwise position that it was rubbing on the paint. I tried to adjust it by removing the arm and resetting the position, but was unable to do so since it required a tool to be able to remove the arm.
3) When the installer was out and removing the old glass, he cut off the little rubber spacers that were in place to align the glass. These are really just four little rubber feet about 3/8 inch in diameter. He didn't have any new ones so he just had to estimate that he had the glass aligned properly and had it spaced properly. I'd have preferred that the proper spacers since I am of the mindset of "those things are probably there for a reason."
4) I noticed well after the installer was done that the point of his blade scratched the paint when he was removing the old glass. There's nothing to be done about it now, but installers need to be a little more careful.
5) Sure, there were problems with the installation and product, but at least I now have a rear window.